International Overdose Awareness Day (IOAD) started in 2001 in Melbourne, Australia. Since then, it has become one of the largest events in the world that promote awareness for drug and alcohol addiction. Organizations around the world will host nearly 1,000 events to observe IOAD in August 2019.
The addiction rehab center in Fort Collins, CO will be on hand to host events and help spread the word about the dangers of drug overdoses or alcohol poisoning. It is a great opportunity for volunteers and people in the community to help those who are struggling with substance abuse.
If you are interested in being a part of International Overdose Awareness Day 2019, then contact AspenRidge Fort Collins. We can give you more information on what you can do to get involved or participate in an event.
The Goals of IOAD
IOAD mainly exists to educate people on the dangers of drug and alcohol abuse. They also want to help people get over the stigma of drug-related deaths as well as get treatment for addiction through a drug and alcohol addiction treatment program. The negative stigma associated with treatment often keeps people from getting the help they need.
By hosting and supporting these goals, AspenRidge Recovery in Fort Collins can play our part in promoting more research and gathering resources for those in need. IOAD’s goals include the following:
- Giving people a safe space in which to mourn loved ones publicly
- Encouraging involvement in International Overdose Awareness Day and its events
- Providing accurate and current information about fatal and non-fatal overdoses
- Informing current and former users that people love and support them
Additionally, IOAD’s goals include:
- Facilitating frank discussions about drug policies and overdose prevention
- Informing community members of services that aim to help users and their loved ones
- Supporting evidence- and science-based policies that aim to prevent harm as a result of drug use
- Spreading information about the dangers of drug use and overdoses
How to Get Involved with IOAD 2019
If you are passionate about helping others in your community get clean and sober, then there are several ways you can help on International Overdose Awareness Day. First, look for opportunities to host an event or gather volunteers for an event nearby. IOAD can help you promote your event. Your local drug detox center may have information on how to go about doing this.
The organization provides event details and guidelines on the IOAD website. Registration is quick and easy. Plus, they provide all types of tools and resources to help you get started. There are other ways you can help, such as:
- Subscribing to the newsletter and staying current on the latest information
- Posting a tribute
- Blasting your social media sites with updates and info
- Sending a donation and getting a lanyard, wristband, or t-shirt
Visit their website to find out more.
Partake in International Overdose Awareness Day
If you are struggling with addiction, then help is available at AspenRidge Recovery’s Fort Collins, CO drug rehab center. We provide well-rounded treatment for all types of substance abuse, including
- Vicodin addiction treatment program
- Sleeping pill addiction treatment program
- Percocet addiction treatment program
- Prescription drug addiction treatment program
Call us today at 866.957.6941 to get started on the road to recovery. We look forward to seeing you on International Overdose Awareness Day 2019.